Tom Baker, when he was a monk with the Brothers of Ploermel, stayed in this monastery in Jersey.
[He also was later in Shropshire with the same order. See data and photos below.]
The main chapel is the only part of the monastery still standing, and is now part of Highlands college.
The campus has been part of the Island's history since 1881 when a group of French Jesuits bought a property called Highlands in the Parish of St Saviour to establish a naval training college.
The College is situated on a campus in St. Saviour on the site of a former French Jesuit training school Notre Dame de Bon Secours, that was established in Jersey in 1894, on the site known as Highlands.
The school trained sailors for the French navy but when the Jesuits were denied permission by anti-clerical laws to continue teaching, the school was moved to Jersey from Brest. The Jesuit period finished after World War I and the site was purchased by another French group The Brothers of Christian Instruction from PloŰrmel in Brittany who set up a missionary school. During the second world war Jersey was occupied by the Germans and the site from 1941 was used to house 180 occupying forces. It returned to its previous use in 1945.
In the 1950s and 1960s, the States of Jersey established a College of Further Education in a number of different buildings in Saint Helier, the capital of Jersey. The college taught mainly craft skills such as construction, catering, motor vehicle and secretarial courses.
In 1970 the demand for missionaries had fallen away and the Brothers of Christian instruction sold the Highlands site to the States of Jersey.
In 1972 the States of Jersey established Highlands College and over a period moved all further education to the campus that was also occupied by the Education Department. Extensive rebuilding has taken place on the campus to create excellent facilities in a wide range of vocational disciplines.
Anchors on the fašade and a statue of the Madonna and Child show the college's past both as a naval college and Catholic institution.
The main feature of the college is its Great Hall. This is the former chapel built by the Jesuits and features a magnificent hammer beam room and stained glass windows. The college has hosted The Queen, the Prince of Wales, The UK Lord Chancellor and other distinguished guests in the Hall.
Interior Scenes of The Great Hall:
© Ben Pirozzolo, used with permission.
Additional Photos Exterior of The Great Hall:
One can tell from the relief that it was both naval and religious in its history.
Cheswardine Hall (Manor).
Charles Donaldson-Hudson originally had the house built in 1875 according to a design by John MacVicar Anderson.
This replaced an earlier partially built house, known as The Hill, Chipnall, that had been purchased by Thomas Hudson, (the great uncle of Charles Donaldson-Hudson) with the Cheswardine Estate circa 1833.
In 1950 it was bought by the de La Mennais Brothers, a teaching order from Brittany, who used it as their Juniorate for teaching boys who wanted to become members of their order.
In the late 1960's it was used as an approved school by Mr & Mrs Brunt.
It is now an residential and nursing home owned by the Poole family.
And some interior shots:
back to ENTRY Page
back to Front Page
up to Top